The US Open started off on a riveting note with some blockbuster matches. Players gave their everything in the last slam of the season. There were some surprising results as well in the first week of the US Open 2023 with several men’s top seeds crashing out.
Let’s take a look at some of the most high-profile crashes in the men’s singles event of the US Open 2023.
- Holger Rune (Seeded 4th) lost to Carballes Baena of Spain in the first round
- Casper Rudd (seeded 5th) who was last year’s runner-up made a shock exit in the second round.
- Stefanos Tstitipas (seeded 7th) also made an early exit after losing to Striker in 5 sets.
- Karen Khachanov (seeded 11th) was another early casualty and crashed out in the first round.
- Felix Auger Aliassime (seeded 15th) was another high-profile exit in the first round.
- Hubert Hurkacz (seeded 17th) expected to go deep into the tournament made a shock second-round exit.
- Borna Coric (seeded 27th) added to the list of shock first-round exits.
Predictions for Upcoming Men’s Singles Matches at US Open 2023
Novak Djokovic VS Talor Fritz (Quarter Finals)
One of the most awaited quarterfinals between the greatest modern tennis player and a rising American star. Djokovic leads in the H2H with all seven victories under his name. On paper, it is Djokovic all the way but Fritz has improved his game significantly. His successful runs in other tournaments show that he is no pushover.
Predicted Scoreline: Djokovic wins 6-2 3-6 7-6 7-5
Daniil Medvedev VS Andrey Rublev
The all-Russian quarterfinal clash between the 2021 champion and number 8 seed is another game to watch. Both players are close friends and know each other’s game really well—Medvedev’s persistence against Rublev’s flamboyance. Let’s see who has the final laugh.
Predicted Scoreline: Medvedev wins 6-4 1-6 6-3 6-7 6-2
Carlos Alcaraz VS Alexander Zverev
The match that everyone is waiting for is between the defending champion and number one seed Carlos Alcaraz and the German star Sascha Zverev. Zverev has had a decent season with a semifinal at the Roland Garros and defeating big players like Sinner and Dimitrov at the US Open. On the other hand, Alcaraz is having the time of his career with a historic victory against Djokovic at the Wimbledon finals.
Predicted Scoreline: Alcaraz wins 6-4 6-3 6-3